1/06/2011

Overwhelmed

Isn't it absolutely amazing that a moment can change your life... forever?

I knew my baby is sick. I knew we would be in the NICU. I knew there would be monitors, bells and whistles.   Yet...

When we toured the NICU yesturday, reality crashed on me...
crushed me...
suffocated me...
robbed me of my optimism.

The staff at Geissinger was fantastic... very personable and totally open to our questions.  And, in a weird way, they really made me feel like they already cared about little Jackson.  The air in the room was optimistic and we kept hearing about how we should be excited and celebrating his birth.

We were given information... TONS of information.  Information on things that never crossed my mind - Medical Assistance Insuarnce for him, Social Security Disabilitiy benefits for him, using the Ronald McDonald House, Home Health Nursing. 
YIKES... this is my life!!!

Then we were told the saddest news that I had heard all day... all week... all month!!!
The hosiptal is on RSV lockdown...
NO ONE UNDER THE AGE OF 12 IS ALLOWED ON ANY OF THE FLOORS!!!!
My girls... their brother... my family... we can't be together for weeks!!! 
My heart broke, my eyes swelled, my happiness disappeared.

I know it's for Jackson's good and for the good of all of the patients... but how can they have a brother and not be allowed to meet him?!?

I shared my concerns with Mindy, our social worker who then took our concerns to the head of the NICU:
Nicole lost her baby at birth, and Bella has had such a hard time dealling with the fact that she never got to hold Max, or see him, or feel him.  I did not want this to happen to my children...
if we were in that situation.
"I'm the head of the department and if anyone can break a rules, it's me" was Dr Everett's response. 
This makes me feel better... a little anyway.

So, here I am today, typing my thoughts away.
We have been without tv, internet and phone for 10 days while we did the whole moving thing.
I think that I actually went through technology withdrawel!!
Good thing I worked extra days and can use their TV and internet!!!

BTW... Jackson is twice as big as he's suppose to be at this point...
"In the 99th percentile for weight" is what they told us...
He is bigger than 99% of the other babies his age!!!
Holy big baby!
He should be around 2 lbs, he's 4lbs 2 ozs.

So... weekly Nonstress Tests until 37 weeks and then an amniocentesis to see if we can deliver him that day.
THAT'S ONLY 7 WEEKS AWAY!!!!!!!!
I can't wait to see, meet and hug him.  At the same time I never want to see him, or meet him, or hold him, or fall madly in love with him...
He is so much safer in my belly and I can't bear the thought of all that he's going to go through.

My poor sweet baby boy!!!
My poor girls who are enxioulsy waiting to meet him!
My poor husband who is so stoic and optimistic!
Oh, Poor Me!!!

5 comments:

jjstringham said...

Wow! In 7 short weeks you should be holding your little baby boy! How exciting!!!!

And by the way, I LOVE the doctor's response to your concerns. Nice to know he's willing to break the rules a little bit if he has to. :)

Mark and Jennifer said...

My goodness! This is a totally different take on things than what I got from Jason. I do remember him saying that they gave you the worst case scenarios! Boy did they!! What you wrote about is enough to put one in a panic! RSV lockdown!! Hopefully the lockdown will be over in 7 weeks!! We can add that to our prayer list! I wish I could see into the future for you! We will want to help you in anyway we can. I like that doctor's response, too! Jackson has a lot of people rooting, praying, and fasting for him. There is power in that!

Our Beautiful Life said...

I'm sorry Jenn. I wish you all didn't have to go through this.

Still praying for you guys.

The Mendenhall's said...

Jenn- we are all still praying and rooting for litle baby Jackson and will continue to pray harder for the next 7 weeks. I can't wait to meet baby Jackson. This little boy has such a special place in all our hearts already. He has brought me to my knee's, humbled me, tested my faith,and made me have to trust in Heavenly Father and know that he has a plan for baby Jackson.

Jaime said...

YOu're all in our prayers. We hope and pray that everything will go well.