9/10/2008

Grandma Stringham's Funeral

Talk by Jason Stringham
Given at Grandma's Funeral
September 6, 2008

Grandma Stringham was the most kind and most loving person I have ever met. When I was a young child, I truly believed that I was her favorite person on the planet. Every time I had a story or had achieved even the smallest of victories, I could always count on her to listen, to laugh, to congratulate, and to give me my due praise. I knew she clung to every word I said because, me and my life, was so important to her. It was obvious in everything she did.

As I grew a little older, and slightly less self centered, I began to realize that love and kindness defined Grandma to everyone who knew her. She loved us all. Everyone here knows, without a shadow of a doubt, that you are her favorite. She showed us in everything she did.

When I met my wife, I made a special detour on my way to introduce her to my family. I first had to stop to show Grandma the girl I wanted to marry. I remember prior to me letting her know I was to propose, she pulled me aside to tell me what a special and beautiful girl she was. Something that I remember from that visit was when the three of us were leaving to a restaurant for dinner and on the way there Grandma refused to sit in the front seat. She told me that is where your wife belongs. I laughed to myself as Jenn tried to convince her that she wanted her to have the front seat… that it wouldn’t be right to put her in the back. I knew how stubborn Grandma can be about things like that so I pretended to be doing something else and just listened. After a good five to ten minutes, Jenn finally convinced her to take the front seat. Grandma must have been very hungry. Afterwards Grandma made me promise that my wife will always get the front seat… a promise I have tried to keep.

When I was younger, our family had a great big dog. I was in the army at the time and planned my vacation home so that I would be there at the same time as my Grandma was visiting. When I arrived, I found out our dog had to be put down because his hips had given out and he was in a lot of pain. At one point, during my visit, Grandma was being helped up and I said to her, “Don’t show any sign of weakness around these people Grandma, you heard what they did to the dog.” Grandma laughed and replied, “If only I could be so lucky. I miss Grandpa and look forward to being with him again.”

As painful as it is that you are no longer here with us, I rejoice in the knowledge that you are reunited with him. And I’m sure it didn’t take you long to remind him that he is your favorite.
I love you very much and I am truly honored that I could speak today.





The Stringham Family

Joking around with our long lost cousins.

The Farm
Ashton, Idaho


Some things never change... Jason just couldn't resist catching a few of those huge grasshoppers!




Jason's attempt at a "cool" pose...


Reminiscing in Grandma's farm house.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Jason did such a great job on his talk at Grandma's funeral. He had us laughing and bawling at the same time. He really seemed to capture the personality of Grandma perfectly!

It was great to see you J!

jjstringham said...

Way to make me cry!

Great job Jason. Thanks for posting this.

Mark and Jennifer said...

I absolutely loved your talk! I agree, that you had us laughing and crying at the same time. Your theme that we all felt like her "most special" was referred to several times throughout the funeral! Loved going back to the farm with everyone!

Jaime said...

I had to read your talk after reading the little excerpt on Becca's blog. What a great talk Jason. I don't think we've ever met, but maybe we will at the family reunion next summer.

I'm Andrew's wife, just so you know how I relate to the family.