11/08/2021

Mommy Makeover!

I thought I was done with surgeries… 
then I lost over 30 pounds, but still couldn’t wear the cute little clothes that I had hoped to. So, a nice work bonus for Jason meant a “Mommy Makeover” for me! 

Dr Christian Subbio didn’t want to keep me on the table too long because of my history of blood clots, so we chose to do the tummy tuck first and then the breast lift 10 weeks later. 

Fri Nov 5th I had my tummy tuck done. I was not too unhappy with the way I looked, so I was nervous that it wouldn’t be worth the money. He took Before and After photos in the OR, and I am shocked. I’d say it was worth the money!!!



I am on Post-Op Day #3, which tends to be one of the roughest. Until today, the local anesthetic that he injected into my abdomen had been working wonderfully- when I was using pain meds, it was mostly OTC stuff. Today, I’m using my Oxy as well- but am able to stay comfortable.

As with every surgery, NOT doing things around the house is always the hardest part for me. Jason & I have unfortunately been through so many surgeries, that we’ve pretty much got it down. He’s honestly been wonderful to me- patient and attentive. My family has come through again, with dinner help for the week- a huge help! 

So now, I get to rest, wear my thigh high DVT socks, wear my abdominal binder, and empty my drains. But, that’s about it. I’m being very good at walking and moving about, but not over doing it. 

Here’s my Journey so far…

(I got down to 142lbs so I bought a fun dress for after the surgery- plus I didn’t think naked before/after photos would be appropriate to show people)





Surgery night at a comfy hotel! 


Post-Op Day 1, leg rub:)


Post-Op Day 2 Shower reveal! And a yummy dinner from Mandy. 


Post Op Day 3 is when I felt like the local anesthetic was wearing or worn off. I moved from bed to recliner pretty comfortably though. Mom dropped off soup for our dinner, even though she’s sick herself. 

Post Op Day 5 was the worst day, thus far. When relaxing in bed or reclining, I was basically comfortable, but moving about every hour became harder. My abdomen feels so tight, and my back is spasming a little, from being hunched over constantly. I also think that emotionally, I’m worn. The Dr wouldn’t give me more pain meds- even though it’s only day 5 and he said to use them until day 7-10, but only prescribed 20 pills total (take every 4-6 hours). This is very frustrating, and confusing. So, I held off taking my last pill, when I probably should have. I’m also alone most of the day- Jason working in the basement and the kids at school. I think it all got the best of me. 

Post-Op Day 6 bruising… and a huge Mexican dinner from Meg. 


Day 7… if I’m sitting/laying still, I’m pretty comfortable. Unless, my drains are getting stuck on stuff- OUCH! I still can’t walk around well. I quickly get a cramping back and crazy stretching pains near my incision. The stretching is in my body though… above and below where they sewed me back together. My abdomen often feels like my skin is being pulled- like a sicker is being ripped off. I started with hot, sharp pains in ny flank areas too, after I’d get up. I think my nerves are waking up and shooting.     My right drain hasn’t drained anything really, since Post-op day #3. My left drain emptied 40cc I. The past 24 hours, so the drains need to stay in over the weekend- that was a bummer.  Overall, I’m OK, just hoping that I’m healing correctly and as quickly as expected, and I’m BORED.    Debbie gave us Alley Kat pizza for dinner. Yum. 

Day 8 & 9… I feel like I’m getting worse- not better. I’m getting tighter and more sore. I’m frustrated. 

Day 10… my drains came out today… Hallelujah!!  And it was pretty much pain-free! I got a new, more comfortable binder (to wear until my waist trainer comes in). They put a plastic “belly button trainer” right in my belly button, to wear for 3 weeks. I also got a bunch of info for my surgery coming up in January. I’m already walking more upright, with just the drains being gone. Im also now done my blood-clot prevention shots and socks Whew. I sneezed twice today- OUCH!!!!!   I continue to weigh 148lbs- the day of surgery I weighed only 143. I’m still pretty swollen, and wearing a binder. I haven’t yet heard how much fat they removed in the OR.

Day 14… I can stand (almost) straight up!
My waist trainer arrived and it holds me much tighter than the binder, which helps me stand up. I still get very tired quickly and slouch. Jaylee took me to Walmart and I was fully leaning ON the cart. But it was so nice to get out of the house! Then my Mom and I went out to lunch in downtown Lititz. I even slept somewhat on my side for a few hours last night- my back/butt are so happy!!  

Day 15. I tried on my dress for comparison photos, so far. I’m still slightly bruised and I am still swollen- I have to rearrange my waist trainer every few hours so that my lines don’t become permanent. My belly button scab started to peel, so I must keep an eye on that. 







Day 17…. Each day I am getting noticeably better. I am standing straighter, walking faster, sleeping longer and no longer taking even Motrin. Woo hoo. It still hurts to cough or sneeze- where they sewed together my muscles. I’m really blown away by how long this is all taking! Whenever I wear my Belly Button Trainer, it seems to irritate my belly button some so I only wear it every other day- I hope that’s ok! My Steri-strips are falling off, and my bruising is almost gone. I’m also “uncomfortable” when I don’t have a binder on- it almost feels like the skin is pulling off of the muscle (with out actual pain), and I know that is not actually happening. It’s weird. 

Day 20…. Yesterday was Thanksgiving. Do I got dressed up in my maroon Before/After Sassy dress AND FORGOT TO TAKE PICTURES!!  I was very happy with how I am looking so far. I finally weigh less than surgery day, so I know the swelling IS going down. I was in charge of making 10 lbs of mashed potatoes. It kicked my butt! I get so exhausted, especially with lifting my arms to hold the mixer and putting cream in and out of the microwave. I got so frustrated that I’m still sore, exhausted and actively recovering that I Google other people’s “tummy tuck blogs”- I was pleasantly assured that I am experiencing a typical recovery. I just really was not prepared for what I am in for. I also learned it takes about 3 months to see your “final results”. I would still do it again though.  My tummy is still very tight, my back gets sore if I’m up too long, and my hips where the sutures end are tender. My steri-strips are 1/2 gone now and I have a few sutures sticking out of my belly button- these were supposed to disintegrate, but I was warned that sometimes they just push to the surface instead and need to be snipped by the Dr. 

I ate more at Thanksgiving dinner, than I’ve eaten since surgery, but it wasn’t nearly as much as aid usually eat. Between my lack of smell/taste and my tight stomach I’m just not able to put food down like I used to. That’s not necessarily a bad thing though. I had to remove my waist trainer after dinner bc I was so uncomfortable and then I was literal useless- when it’s not on, I can barely stand up or my back gets so sore so quickly. I’ll need to start back exercises at the 6 week mark. 

Post-Op Day 21…. Seroma. Your vocab word if the day. A big pocket of serous fluid trapped between the fat and muscles at a site of trauma (aka surgery). It’s Saturday, so my surgeon said IF he’s not in surgery, he’ll drain my Seroma first thing Monday morning. If he is in surgery, it will have to wait until after I get back from the Seahawks Monday Night Game.  He said I can go to the game either way- “just take it easy”.  I’m terrified. I’m sad. I’m frustrated. I think he should’ve met me at his office today to drain it- I think it’s too big and is putting pressure on my suture line. I feel so swollen around my suture line, that it’s even more difficult to stand straight up or move my legs when sitting. I’m even swollen up in my episgastric area. I can’t put a video on here, to watch the fluid swish across my lower belly. But you can see how tight my waist trainer is today.  Why?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!






Day 23…. Dr Subbio drained me today- he guessed that he’d drain 100cc, but only got out 35cc. He’s hoping since that is all that came out, that it won’t refill. He’s happy with my recovery, except for some scar tissue forming between my boobs where he did some extra lipo- I have to start massaging the “fiber” of scar tissue multiple times a day. I see him again in a week, unless it should fill up, then sooner. Tonight we go to the Seahawks game- it’s gonna kick my butt!!  But I’m gonna try my best to keep up! 

Day 25… my seroma is back and is just as big as it was when he drained it Monday. (I’m secretly wondering if he actually got it all out 2 days ago.) But… 
I am also below 140 lbs and my tight jeans fit me differently today!!


Day 30… another post-op visit. This time he drained 20cc from my seroma and is, again, hopeful that it will not return. I’m feeling better and stronger every day. My stomach muscles spasm for appx 3 minutes each time I sneeze or cough. Dr Subbio is happy with everything, so far. He swapped my plastic, hard belly button trainer for a soft smushed-up disposable ear plug- it’s much more comfortable. I can start using scar treatment strips. Once my wounds are totally healed, I can bathe/hot tub. He said to wear the compression garments for a total of 8 weeks. He said I need off of work for two more weeks, then I’ll be fully cleared.  I’m very close to standing straight up, on my own. I went jean shopping on my way home- so much fun!!  Jeans actually fit me- and I looked good in them:) I can even tolerate sleeping on my sides for a few hours each night. 

It has been 35 days- 5 weeks- since my surgery. I wore my new jeans and got dressed cute to leave the house. I weighed myself- 136 lbs!!  Wow! My confidence is way up. I wish I had done this years ago. I’m still quite uncomfortable at all times I think I have to start stretching/using my flank areas more bc they are still very tight. Whenever I eat, I get a “semi-sharp” pain in my RLQ. My seroma did fill back up, but not as large as it was last week. Dr Subbio will drain it again next Tuesday. 


Day 39… he drained 10cc more from my seroma. It didn’t hurt at all this time. Fingers crossed! 

Day 41… the RUQ sharp pain suddenly has gotten worse. Hm? It feels better if I press on it- right by my belly button. Because if this, I’m not terribly concerned. Motrin helps a lot too. I’ll keep an eye on it.

Day 45… I still don’t need drained!  Yay!!  The RUQ pain does not bother me constantly, like it had. It basically only bothers me if I’m pressing on my RUQ now. I’m still recovering but finally feel “normal”. I’ve gone grocery shopping and can move heavy things. I’m still wearing my Waist Trainer during the day. 

Day 60… I’ve worn so many cute dresses and haven’t taken any photos of myself… next time I will, just got this blog. In general, I’m feeling pretty good. The Dr drained my seroma again today… 8ccs. It had been 3 weeks, and had not filled up right away. My right hip scar has a dark “thing” in it… he suggested that it may be a stitch working it’s way out and that I shouldn’t worry about it. So… I guess I won’t (?). He was showing me that if I push on my scars, that is what they will look like in appx 1 year. He was very happy with how things are healing. 
Today was also my pre-op appointment for my boob lift. It’ll be done on Jan 13- 10 days from now. I’m excited to get everything over with:)

Day 62… my belly has felt very swollen/distended for the past 2 days. I don’t have any other symptoms.. my seroma is not full again. I feel extra tight at all of my stitches. I’m praying it’s nothing. I’ve been weighing around 135.5 lbs and I’m weighing 139 right now. Hm? 

Day 64… Jason took me clothes shopping today for some cute outfits. Then we went out for a nice steak dinner. Here’s one of my outfits. My belly is not very swollen any more. (?)




Day 69… Mommy Makeover Complete!! Today was Boob lift day:)  Things went great. He says my boobs are the same size, just now back in the right place. He also touched up some lipo areas on my belly and fixed my scars on my hips- they had the tiniest bit of dog-earring. So, I guess I got a 3-in-1 today. Dr Subbio us very pleased with the results of the first surgery. As am I! (Jason too- maybe a little too pleased) 

Surgery was at 11:00 this AM on Jan 3, 2022. Everything at the surgery center went smooth and everyone was nice. It was a great experience again- I highly recommend Paoli Surgery Center.  They still have a zero visitor policy. It’s awkward being alone pre-op. Jadon texted me a lot from the parking lot.  I got home around 5:30 and was pet much pain- free still. Around 7 the anesthesia pan med effect started wearing off, but in comfortable with a pain pill and just sitting in the couch. I am nervous Dot the next 2-3 days. Luckily I have zero planned. Dr Subbio is supposed to call me in about an hour to check up on me.  Then I see him next week. 

My seroma was already filled today, but I never brought it up… I already having too much done to my poor body and he only got out 5cc 3 days ago. 

Here’s my Part 1 before/after shots…





Post-op Day 1 (AGAIN):
For as exhausted as I was, I did NOT sleep. I gave up at 0430. This happened with my first surgery too. I woke up pretty itchy, so I removed my pressure garments to find hives. Lots of Hives, anywhere where there seemed to be any pressure. Have a peek…








Dr Subbio thinks it is an allergic reaction to the OR prep scrub that he used and started me on a steroid pack. It’s weird because he used the same prep 10 weeks ago, with no reaction. 

I’m sore today- like I got beat up. I’m not really in any actual pain. I am taking pain meds around the clock though, so I’m sure that helps. 

My boobs certainly are not sagging anymore. They seem very wide, but I’m hoping that it is just swelling from all of the surgery. My incision does go into my armpit, so I’m optimistic that it’s just a lot of swelling. I guess we’ll find out soon! 





Hopefully I will sleep with the help of Benadryl and wake without Hives!! 

Day 4 Post-Op. First, I woke yesterday with ZERO hives! Woo hoo. This steroid pack is making me crazy though… it makes my insides so jittery, while my outside has to lay calmly. But, I’m not itchy at all anymore:) 

For the most part, I have no “pain”. My boobs are uncomfortably big, like when I was breast feeding. There is a very frequent sharp stabbing pain between my left armpit wound and the bottom of the T incision of the same boob- it feels hot and like there’s a knife stabbing me in the rib. Everything appears to be WNL though, under the steri-strips. I’ve occasionally run a low-grade fever, but the boys each have colds. (They’ve been ‘stuck’ in the basement playing video games for over two days now, because I do not want their germs. They’re devastated;) )

I haven’t been wearing my abdominal hinder as much as I should because of the ‘pain’ under my left boob. All of my binders hit that spot bad- here’s hoping it doesn’t affect my final results too much. 



I have not gotten real sleep since surgery. I’m off of pain pills, so I’ll take my sleeping my meds tonight. I always have “down” days soon after surgery- today I’ve been easily irritated by my family’s lack of helping out. Hopefully after sleep tomorrow (and less steroids) I’ll feel better. Or, maybe they could just help out? 

Day 7… my post-op appt went well. I have not really been wearing my abd binder due to pain. My abd is still very swollen. Dr Subbio wants me wearing my binder 24’ for the next 2 weeks to help get rid of the fluid. He didn’t drain my seroma b/c of my swelling. I will see him again in 2 months, or if my seroma does need drained, I’ll go back after wearing my binder 
For 2 weeks. He’s very happy with the boob aspect of the surgery. Here’s my get-up for the next 2 weeks:
Compression bra, compression abdominal binder and anti-dvt conpression socks. Fly! 





Day 8 (Jan 21)… I’m starting to get these “hot” “sharp” “stabbing” “quick” pains in my right boob. I’m hoping this means that my nerves are firing back up. So far, my nipples are still numb. 
I don’t know how I feel about my boobs. I know I’m still tight and swollen. I feel like they are wide and boyish right now. I know that sounds crazy. And I know that once all of the steri-strips come off and the under arm swelling goes down, I will be super pleased- that I am confident about. 

Day 18… the stabbing pains have subsided. Except for under my right arm out- I’ve had a sharp ripping pain, like I would expect from a wound healing. The steri-strip fell off today and the wound looks worse than everywhere else. I sent pics to Dr Subbio today, just to make sure nothing needs to be done right now. From the lipo, I’m very tight in my upper abd, along my ribs. I have to force myself to stand up straight, and then it pulls and stretches. I’m pretty sure this is normal. The belly swelling has gone down immensely! I haven’t been great about wearing my binder- it hurts on my ribs. 





April 27th... I saw Dr Subbio for my last follow up appt. He and I are very pleased with the results. There is nothing that can be done about my lack of sensation, unfortunately. He trimmed my "dog ears" off under my armpits and the stitches will dissolve in three weeks.  He told me he's send me Before-After photos bu trust have forgotten. I'll call next week if I still don't have them. I'm very happy:)

April 20, 2023.. My one year appt!  I am so pleased with the results!  My areoles are just the tiniest bit non-symmetrical, so after the summer, he's going to make them symmetrical in the office. (No charge). Though I thought U'd lose weight after the procedure one year ago, I haven't... I have fluctuated within 5 lbs of where I was immediately post-op.  But... I am happy and confident. (nipple sensation randomly returned.)

October 19, 2023... Areola revision...

1 comment:

Mark and Jennifer said...

Wow! Big change! So far I think it was well worth it. Perfect timing ... right after big-time weight loss!!!