1/05/2020

Study Abroad

Tonight is Notary’s Holiday Party aka Country Assignment Night...

Hence the reason I tossed and turned all night and am blogging at 7am.




At 5:00 tonight, Jaylee will be handed one of these five flags. That is where she’ll live next year. Away from us, independent, with another family. 

I want to jump for joy and vomit at the same time, and then lay in my vomit crying hysterically until some Hawaiian angel carries me off to the islands. 

OK, I’m back.

She’s invited my parents, my sisters and her friend Tony to be at the party tonight, as well as Barry, the Representative from the Lititz rotary club that has helped her along the way.

I can’t believe tonight is here already! 
Here’s a few pictures from the weekend in November when she went to orientation and picked her top five countries. (Spain was still her first choice but she’s too old to be accepted into Spain, the cut off is 17.5 yrs)










I’ll update after tonight!!! 

******************
BRAZIL





















The party was nice!! Us, Nan (Poppop just had a hip replacement), Mandy, Meg and Jaylee’s friend Tony were there for Jaylee. Barry from the Lititz Rotary was also there. He’s helped Jaylee all along the way. 

We were pleasantly surprised to have dinner catered by Olive Garden!!! Then the 8 Inbound Students (here from other countries) each brought a native dish. Jason enjoyed many of them. 

She will not know her exact placement until April. Cris Leal told me that their school year runs Feb to Dec since they’re in the Southern Hemisphere. I guess she’ll be going mid Jr year and leaving mid Sr year (?). Since Brazil accepts GAP year students, she’s going to work her butt off this Spring and graduate a year early. She’ll take most of her courses online so she can work at her own pace. She’s hoping to be done by end of year and not have to go into the summer. She’s not sure that she wants to walk in the Graduation Ceremony- “If it’s important to you Mom...” I’m not sure that it is important to me. If she could just borrow someone’s gown for photos, I’d be fine with that! We’ll meet with her guidance counselor this week to finalize all of her plans. Warwick HS has been less than helpful throughout this process.  She’s having surgery on the 16th and will be off for at least 1 week- we’re really hoping she’ll be all set up before then so she can keep busy that week! 

I’m thinking that I shouldn’t have blinked!!!! 
*****
Update 3/2

Jaylee spent the weekend with the Rotary kids at Mt Asbury in Carlisle. We drove Karen, the inbound student from Paraguay. Jaylee got to sit and talk with a guy from Brazil. For the talent show, she randomly (jokingly) played the recorder!!  Then Jason and I went to a meeting to get some details- lots and lots of details!! 









******
Update 3/8

Jaylee found out she’s assigned to the city of Caraguatatuba- no where near Rio, LOL!!!  It’s a beach town 2 hrs from São Paulo. She’s “met” her first host family over emails and learned of her 2nd and 3rd family. 

She’s ECSTATIC!!!
This is the town and first family...





*****
Update 3/31

Things have taken a turn.
COVID-19.
Luckily her trip has not gotten cancelled. It’s”on hold” it may happen later, or it may happen 1 year later than expected. She’s ok with this... she’s just putting together a back up plan based on whatever happens. This trip is her priority!! 

She had a Zoom meeting with all of the outbound kids the other day. She Face-timed her host family who is currently working on her Visa, and we registered her with the Travel agency. She’s continuing her Portuguese and focusing on going, rather than focusing on COVID.  





*****
Update 4/3

Jaylee’s host sister found out today that her exchange trip is postponed for 1 year. Jaylee was to “take her place” while she was on exchange. 

What will this mean for Jaylee?

No comments: