It’s taken me almost 18 months, but I finally got my shoulder fixed yesterday!! I put it off last summer because I didn’t realize what the random impingements pains were. I tried PT all last fall and ended the year with a cortisone injection. 3 months later I got my second injection which last only a few weeks. I haven’t slept in weeks because it aches almost all night long. Putting on a bra or deodorant or shaving my arm pit was near impossible and painful. My range of motion should return now (hopefully). She took out my bursa sac, shaved down my 2 bone spurs, shaved some of my acromium to make more room in there, and cleaned out some scar tissue. It was the best surgical experience I’ve had. My IV was pain free, barely felt. Then I was given 3 citrus nose swipes. I was given Versed and then the Shoulder Block was performed in pre-op. I don’t remember much because the Versed really worked. I think I passed out. I remember the electrical stimulator jerking my arm about. I remember them showing me a picture of the Ultrasound showing me the numbing agent around my nerve. But I don’t remember the actual injections into my neck- AWESOME. They said I’d stay numb 6-8 hours, it lasted 18 hours!!! My arm was literally like a dead arm, no feeling and just flopping about! So weird!!
My biggest complaint is that I spent 7 hours yesterday sneezing frequently with a very runny nose. I tried cold medicine, then Benadryl, then saline spray. At midnight I took Afrin which worked and allowed me to sleep some. I woke up at 4am starting to hurt and have been up since.
Jason has big meetings today so I’m waiting for a child to wake and help me with breakfast. But it’s still only 9am.
***
Jaylee made me yummy French toast and then Meg brought over a delicious chicken, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans and gravy meal. YUMMY! We had it for lunch before PT and we’ll have it for dinner too, after JB’s soccer game.
PT took off my bulky dressing and had me do passive ROM. I’m not allowed to move my arm on my own yet.
***
I spent the weekend recovering at the Dombach Cabin. It was wonderful! The pain pills helped me relax and enjoy it. Who knew? The kids kept busy while I rested and read a book (and watched deer eat).
***
Post-Op Day 6
I headed back to PT and she was very pleased with my ROM. Me too! I think I lifted my arm higher than it’s been in 18 months- passively- I’m not allowed to use my shoulder muscle yet.
***
Post-Op 2 Weeks
I was having muscle spasms a lot this weekend. Luckily, I had Valium left from my second brain surgery, which helped a lot. I think letting my muscles rest over night has made a huge difference.
I saw my Dr yesterday and she seems pleased. She says that my shoulder was a lot worse than my MRI showed. She said that when I was under anesthesia, she tried to put my arm straight up 180’ by my ear. It wouldn’t go past 135’. So... she PUSHED my arm FORCIBLY to my ear. She said my shoulder was full of adhesions that needed to be busted. That, literally, makes me want to vomit.
She reviewed my photos with me, that show a bright red very inflamed bursa, as well as the bone spurs and adhesions that she needed to clean out of there. Apparently, there shouldn’t be anything red in my shoulder, so everything red had to come out. My X-ray yesterday shows that the bone spurs are gone and that there is much more room in there, now.
I’m off work for four more weeks, until I see her again. I’m allowed to start driving when I feel it’s safe.
No more stitches!
****
December 15, 2018
I’m back to work and mostly feeling good. Bed time is actually when I experience most of my discomfort bc I can’t get comfy, especially when I roll over. I have full ROM.
No comments:
Post a Comment