8/08/2011

Jack rolled

I am happy to say that Jackson rolled over yesturday from back to front.
Though this may seem mundane and expected, perhaps even a little "behind", this is a big step for my little man.  His belly is bigger and weaker than other babies his age.
He has also been busy fighting off life-threatening infections, rather than conserving energy to grow.
I am happy for him, for as sick as he is, he continues to grow and learn and conquer.
He is an inspiration to us all.

****************************

I've spent many hours the past week researching kidneys, megaureters, vesicostomy and pseudo-prune belly syndrome with hopes to finding tips to decrease the amount of UTIs he's been getting... We 're told that there is not much more we can do to avaoid them BUT that is just not good enough for me.  I have begun changing his diapers more often, rolling him from side to side (with the hopes that it gets the stasic urine moving through the ureters), and testing his urine frequently.  We are going to the beach in 2 weeks, I plan to not keep him on the beach for too long each day, sneak in some pedialyte to help avoid dehydration from the heat, and change him often.  If anyone out there has suggestions or ideas... SPEAK UP - I am begging for "help"... the thought of losing him to something as silly as a UTI is terrifying, though a reality.  The UTIs that he's fought off so far have already been resistant to many antibiotics. 

That being said, it's tricky knowing what's up with him - he is still on Cipro for his last infection, but was fussy again today - he is  growing boy who has teeth forming.  There's a fine line between being overprotective and justly concerned!  We are learning how to walk a tightrope.

Reading over all of the Prune Belly Syndrome info out there again this weekend made me realize how lucky we are, but then again there are so many scary statistics about kidney failure and death from sepsis that worry me.  I need to pray more that God will give me peace of heart so that I am still fully enoying this blessing, and that I am not letting his illness define him... this latter is tough for me at times (esp when I sit her typing!)  Feel free to add me to your prayer list, I am not to proud to ask!! 

3 comments:

Mark and Jennifer said...

Yay, Jackson!!! I wish I had some good ideas for controlling infections. The ones you have come up with sound very good. When we are at the beach with you I am sure Mark would love to spend time with him in the motel room. Mark can only be out in the sun for a short period of time, too! Listen to your heart....it will guide you...it has so far. Can you only give him so much fluid or can he have all he wants?

jjstringham said...

Congrats Jackson!

I used to have a lot of kidney infections when I was little (I was on antibiotics continually for years). Now whenever I get the hint of kidney pain I guzzle cranberry juice. It's probably just a placebo effect, but it makes me feel better that I'm trying to do something about it. :)

Unknown said...

Go Jackson! I am so impressed with his fighting spirit. And he is blessed with amazing parents. Your instincts are right on & you trust them. Jackson & the girls are very lucky.