I want to take a moment and thank my son, Jackson Stringham, for introducing us to every major hospital in central PA! LOL. I'm soooooo tired but want to document (of course). Let's see...
Weds 7/27 Jackson was a tiny bit fussy in the morning and still on Bactrim for a UTI. I dipped his urine at home but it was negative. Thursday 7/28 he was just fine. Around dinner time he got a tad bit fussy but was also very tired. He cont'd with a little diarrhea that he's had for about 1 week, so I changed his formula back to Nestle Good Start. He woke at 11pm screaming for 1 hour straight!!!!!!! bing bing bing... something was wrong. We dipped his urine for WBCs and blood - both positive. We called his pediatrician who said to go to hospital. Meg came to sleep at the house while the girls were sound asleep. Arrived at LGH ER by 1 am, was told we were the only patient to be seen on that side of the ER, 45 nins later our nurse came in and 20 mins after that, the Dr showed up. Phlebotomist was seriously an idiot and couldn't get blood from his heel stick (we could tell he was getting dehydrated at the point) - 2nd phlebotomist had successful heel stick. WBCs 27,000 so Pediatrician came down to admit him. he said they'd start an IV upstairs on Peds floor, we warned that he was already a hard stick, and now is dehyrdating - told we'd be upsatirs in 30 mins. 2 hours later, taken up to room 3811. Peds nurses mad that ER never attempted IV to get fluids/antibiotics going. (Me too!!) Multiple IV attempts by Peds and IV Nurses. No longer really eatting. Told day shift will try. 1 hours later, more failed attempts. Day Dr Solosko came in - Loved her from the start!! She attempted multiple IV sticks... scalp, extremities and multiple jugulars. We thought 1 jugular was good, started the fluids and then it inflitrated (Nurse blew off our infiltraiotn concerns, grr....) Jackson appeared to be crashing - too tired to eat from 2 hours straigt of IV sticks. We asked if we could start IM antibiotics a while b/c urine was now pure milky. 90 minutes later antibiotic arrives and Tyelnol given for rectal temp 101 (they kept telling us he wasn't hot b/c his ear temp was 98.3 - REALLY?!?! A septic kid deserves a tympanic temperature?? I appreciate CNA's - I was one for years - but some nurses need to take control of their patients and not leave it in the hands of a CNA.) Prayer chain was started, Liounis' came to visit at 10 am, Jackson started eatting more and more slowly. Finally at 3pm, the antibiotics seemed to be helping... smiles, talking and sleeping. Jason and I were able to finally get some sleep too!! Geisinger Nephrology wants us to f/u with his surgeon ASAP. Hopefully, we'll cont with IM antibiotics, he'll keep drinking so we don't need to try IVs again, and we'll go home Sun or Mon but on 3 WEEKS OF ANTIBIOTICS!!!!!
He was soooo happy when the girls came to visit tonight!!! BIG SMILES!!!!!!!
2 comments:
I am so sorry that you are going through this. At least Jackson has amazing parents to see him through it all. He is such a strong little guy. I am praying that he continues to respond well & drinking. And praying that no central line is needed. Hugs to you all.
I wonder if you should find just where is best veins are and learn to start the IV's yourself. It breaks my heart to see him suffer so. Heck, I am terrible at starting IV's and I would be more than willing to find his good veins if I was around. Well, you do have a good list of good doctors, good hospitals and good nurses in your file.
Post a Comment