So I am back to work and get to spend countless hours on line... mostly craigslist browsing and Facebook surfing. It left me thinking tonight: As I added some new friends from our "new life" in Lititz... I was thinking there have been sooo many people that have come and gone... some have come again... and some are gone forever.
It's funny how I've been addicted to Facebook for about 2 years... I was not interested in it at all but joined at the insistance of the Stringhams. It's such an easy way to keep in touch, especially with family all over the country!
When I frirst joined, I looked up everyone I've ever known... Brookhaven neighborhood kids, The Christian Academy classmates, Sun Valley classmates, Etown and York College buddies, Friends in Savannah, Lancaster friends, Jason's family in Seattle and beyond, and of course all of my cousins!! I was so curious as to who was doing what!! My "friend" list was hundreds long...
Then we got all the bad news about Jackson, and I found that it was much easier to update family on FB so I went through my Friends List and narrowed it down to family and close friends, so that I wasn't sharing all the details with people wo didn't really care.
Now, I have "refriended" many of those acquaintances and realize that I love having a large friend list:
I like reading about everyone's lives,
I like being nosy,
I like the "relationships" that have started and strengthened over FB,
I like showing pics of my fantastic kids to everyone,
I like reading when friends are asking for help or prayers,
I like seeing pix of everyone (when' I'm checking out the backgrounds to see how everyone lives),
and I like having something to do at work!!
What I like most though, is the friends that have stayed on my friend's list since the beginning...
friends that live close by,
friends that I only spent a year or two with but have continued to stay in touch,
family on the west coast that I've never actually met but feel like we're real friends now,
and people from the past that I was not friends with but now feel that I am!
What I also like is all the support that I received from people through FB when we were learning about Jackson's conditions. It was so great to sit in front of the computer and read kind words and optimism. It was wonderful to know that because of FB, Jackson received 10 thimes the prayers that he would have.
So, now that I have checked FB, searched Craigslist and freecyle, and blogged, I guess I'll check my junk email account!!
1 comment:
I feel the same way about FB! We loved having you update us all about Jackson when there was so much change and still do. I even loved all the loving responses you received! It helps me realize how many good and caring people there are in the world! And my family (and extended ones, too) look forward to any tiny update on all your family! I feel so blessed to have this technology available and not have to rely on the mail....like our parents did when our children were small!
Post a Comment